Just Read the Labels!
Skin care is such a big part of our daily lives. If you think about it, our skin is the largest organ…during this temporary phase in your life, concentrate on products that will protect your skin and help retain moisture. Treatments cause extreme dry skin, so taking the time to replenish the loss of moisture is critical to the overall condition of your skin in the long run.
Educating yourself on ingredients can be of great benefit. Some ingredients in skin care and cosmetic products can actually cause dry skin. Remember, expensive doesn’t assure quality and inexpensive doesn’t mean poor quality…just learn to read the labels!
Natural or organic products are truly the best approach to removing harsh chemicals, but you still need to learn to read the labels regarding skin care and cosmetics. Some of the most damaging ingredients used in non-organic or natural brands include:
• Solvent Alcohol…is very drying to the skin and strips the skin of its protective acid mantle.
• Petroleum is oil based and will not penetrate the skin’s pores. This product will sit on the surface of the skin blocking normal respiration, excretion and absorption of other ingredients.
• Mineral Oil is derived from crude oil and forms a film on the skin blocking the pores…not allowing the skin to breathe. Mineral oil is also very drying and can prematurely age the skin.
• Soap and Acetone strips the skin, allowing bacterial growth in pores. After using soap, acetone or solvent alcohol, did you know it takes the skin 24 hours to rejuvenate?
• As far as products that can cause breakouts or allergic reactions, stay away from Lanoline, Ollagen, Dyes, Perfumes, waxes like beeswax and paraffin, Animal by-products, Tallow or hydrogenated animal protein. All of these ingredients can be detrimental to the health of your skin…Remember, expensive doesn’t assure quality and inexpensive doesn’t mean poor quality…just learn to read the labels!
(Without a doubt, it’s always possible to find experts with differing opinions on the safety of various skin care products and cosmetics you may be using. My goal is to give you the best advice I can through my research that will give you every advantage you deserve. The bottom line: The choice is yours, you decide what’s best for you…)
For an extensive list of animal-by-products, please refer to: